The Importance of Self-Care During the Holidays
Do you too already have school breakup parties in full swing and lots of extra events pencilled in the calendar? Here are a few fun tips to help keep your health on track.
It’s not quite as simple as choosing a couple of pills for a quick-fix of course. But I promise this way there’s much more to be gained!
5 Survival Tips for the Holidays
- Start your day with two glasses of water. Add to these a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, for its acidifying and mood-enhancing benefits.
- Maintain your exercise program, despite the extra activities added to the week. Not only does movement activate our BDNF (brain-derived neurotrophic factor) to produce new brain cells, it also disperses the body’s stress hormones and directly affects our positive emotions. Just a 10-minute walk outside will suffice if really stretched for time.
- Be ritualistic with your sleeping habits as often as possible. Did you know that insufficient sleep can contribute to weight gain, due to causing increased food intake, hunger and inflammation? Start the morning outside in the sunlight, and consider checking your vitamin D levels (low vitamin D has been associated with shortened REM sleep).
- ‘Take 5’ each day as a minimum of time just for you. Maybe it’s some deep breathing for a few minutes, or sitting in mindful silence for 10, focussing on how grateful you feel.
- Sing loud and often! Music is incredibly powerful and well-recognised for its ability to recharge both energetically and emotionally. So if you hear your favourite carol being sung, be sure to join in! How about creating a playlist of calming music that you can play in the car on the way home? This is a beautiful way to transition out of work or a gathering to the sanctuary of home, and add to your calm through the silly season.
There are of course lots of ways to care for yourself deeply, to respectfully include self-care as a declared need rather than merely a want. And if you have thought of a few more as you were reading this, be sure to write them down and include in your day. Go on, reward your amazing self!