Back in the day, I lived and worked in Italy for months at a time over several years, in a medieval fortress city called Spoleto. It is an extraordinary place which ticks all the tourist boxes with Roman amphitheatres and relics, an aqueduct kilometres long, a stunning Duomo and castle, and an international music event Festival dei Due Mondi (Festival of Two Worlds) that I absolutely loved performing in.
Being immersed in Italian food and culture for so long has left an indelible mark on my taste buds, and Italian dishes still remain my go-to comfort food. Any time I can have my kitchen smelling like that of an Italian Nonna, I am one happy lady!
This frittata does exactly that. Plus it’s super-quick a presto to put together and can be eaten straight from the oven in 15 minutes – what’s not to love about that! No wonder we make frittatas oodles of times at home, and it always brings everyone happily to the table – tutti a tavola.
Lots of people know about the amazing health benefits of eating garlic and what an immunity powerhouse is stored within each clove, but did you realize what good choices you are also making when you include rosemary? This extraordinary herb is a great source of iron, vitamin B6 and calcium, along with being rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds that boost your immune system and improve blood circulation. Already, great for anyone who loves to move and feel energized! Scientific studies have found that rosemary can protect the brain by fighting off free radical damage and may help prevent brain aging. And to think that since ancient times rosemary has been recognized for improving memory.
When rosemary is added to this frittata recipe, the kitchen comes alive with intoxicating aromas within seconds of the delicate leaves hitting the pan. In combination with the sizzling chorizo and garlic, the aromatics are so intense that you may find yourself spontaneously breaking into song with an Italian aria, or punching the air with glee. Go ahead, turn the volume up and sing like there’s nobody listening.
La dolce vita é buonissima!
Chorizo and Rosemary Frittata
1 teaspoon coconut oil
125g chorizo, thinly sliced
1 sprig rosemary, leaves only
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 generous handful baby spinach
80g freshly grated parmesan (in TM, 10 seconds, speed 10)
1 small handful parsley, chopped (in TM, 5 seconds, speed 8)
freshly grated black pepper
10 black olives, halved
- Preheat oven to 200ºC, with a baking tray placed on the middle shelf
- Line the base of a 20cm springform pan with baking paper, greasing the sides with butter
- Heat frying pan over medium heat and add coconut oil
- Once coconut oil is hot and melted, add chorizo. Allow to sizzle and turn golden for 2 minutes each side, turning once
- Add rosemary leaves and garlic to pan and stir for 1 minute, coating in the chorizo and coconut oils as you whiff the heady aroma
- Place baby spinach in base of springform tin
- Add chorizo and rosemary mix to the tin
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs with the grated parmesan and parsley and season with a big pinch of salt and pepper
- Pour egg mix into the springform pan over the chorizo
- Gently press the olive halves onto the top of the frittata mix
- Place pan onto the oven tray and bake for 15 minutes or until puffy and golden
Ultimate comfort foods that nurture and nourish
Health-restoring dishes that can be ready in a flash
High-impact flavour, with abundant vitamins and antioxidants goodness
Plus top seven inflammatory foods to avoid when detoxing
All recipes are gluten and sugar free!
Numbers are limited, so if you’d like to join me, please sign up now.