This is torte, but not as you know it, and you and this little beauty may want to be left alone for a while once you’ve taken your first bite! To share or not to share is the question on the lips of those who’ve already been seduced by this ridiculously moreish treat. Deceptively simple to rustle up, this chocolaty, fudgy torte will not fall short of all your chocolate dreams. Are you already imagining biting into its’ light yet rich texture and crunchy yet moist base?
Unencumbered by flour the powerful cacao sings with deep flavour through this raw, vegan masterpiece. You’re sure to want to hide in your pantry away from prying eyes whilst you luxuriate in this sweet treat that’s low on guilt! Decorate with a pop of colour by piling on juicy raspberries at the finale and voila, your show-stopping dessert is ready to be unveiled and devoured … if you really want to share.
And just in case your taste buds needed tempting, did you know that cacao contains a gorgeous chemical called phenylethylamine that is the special love drug that triggers the brain to recognize when we are experiencing feelings of love, romance and euphoria? Cool, huh! It boosts our mood and happiness, while also encouraging brain focus and combating fatigue. I don’t know about you but that sounds to me like the permission I need to eat this any time of the day!
OK, I want to cover all bases in case anyone is still not sure whether to invite this torte into their kitchen. Scientific research indicates that cacao (dark chocolate) can not only support a great mood but also increases athletic ability and endurance performance. It can help shed fat (impressive!), increase immunity, boost energy, prevent premature aging and even act as an aphrodisiac! My final temptation is that it tastes like a truly decadent chocolate treat, while being of such amazing benefit.
After so much ranting and raving about how good this is for you I need to borrow a phrase from L’Oréal Paris – as you take the first divine mouthful, just remember it’s Because You’re Worth It.
Fudgy flourless chocolate torte
1 cup almonds
2 tablespoons coconut oil, liquefied
6 large and soft medjool dates
¼ cup cacao powder
¾ cup coconut oil (180g), liquefied
3 cups of raw cashews (425g), presoaked for 4–6 hours, drained
juice of 1 orange
½ cup cacao powder
½ cup rice malt syrup or maple syrup
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
pinch of unrefined salt
- For the crust, grease base and sides of a 23cm springform pan with coconut oil. Set aside.
- Place all crust ingredients into Thermomix or food processor and process until a coarse, crumbly mixture forms a dough – TM 20 sec/sp 9.
- Transfer mix into pan and press down evenly to form a thin base layer.
- Set aside in the freezer to begin to harden. Clean and dry mixing bowl.
- For the filling, place all ingredients into the Thermomix or food processor bowl in the order listed. Process for around 2 minutes until a smooth, creamy texture is achieved – TM 1 min/sp 9 + 30 sec/sp 9. Check occasionally if mixture needs to be scraped down from the sides to assist smooth blending.
- Transfer the mix onto the base and spread out evenly, aiming for a smooth topping.
- Cover the torte with baking paper-lined foil, and place back in the freezer to set for a minimum of 6 hours or overnight.
- To serve, transfer the torte to the fridge and allow to defrost for around an hour. Gently release the springform sides and cut torte into slices. Return to the fridge for a further hour before serving with raspberries and chocolate swirls.